[Numpy-discussion] Possible example application of the array interface

Michael Sorich mike_lists at yahoo.com.au
Wed Apr 6 10:12:39 CDT 2005

I think that this is a great idea! While I have a
strong preference for python, I generally use R for
statistical analyses due to the large number of mature
libraries available. There are also some aspects of
the R data types (eg data-frames and column/row names
for 2D arrays) that are really nice for spreadsheet
like data. I hope that scipy.base record arrays will
be as easily manipulated as data-frames are.

While RPy works well for small simple problems, there
are data conversion limitations between R and Python.
If one could efficiently convert between the major R
data types and python scipy.base data types without
loss of data, it would become possible to do most of
the data manipulation in python and freely mix in R
functions when required. This may encourage the use of
python for the development of statistical routines.