[Numpy-discussion] Alternate C-only array protocol for speed?

Scott Gilbert xscottg at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 8 12:24:02 CDT 2005

--- "David M. Cooke" <cookedm at physics.mcmaster.ca> wrote:

> It seems that people are worried about speed of the attribute-based
> array interface when using small arrays in C.

I'm really not worried about it...  I just don't want "performance" to be
used as an argument for a given design decisions when the proposed change
won't actually make things faster.

> Here's an alternative: Define some attribute (for now, call it
> [snip]

This would definitely be faster.  Faster yet would be doing a
PyNumeric_Check (or PyNumarray_Check, or whatever they're called) and just
cast the pointer to the underlying representation.  If you must go fast, go
as fast as possible...

I'd rather we didn't add a lot complexity to the array protocol to just go
at a medium speed.

Cheers,
    -Scott