[Numpy-discussion] Question about external libraries and ATLAS

Piotr Luszczek luszczek at cs.utk.edu
Sun Aug 21 09:45:07 CDT 2005

Darren,

my experience with ATLAS and numarray on Gentoo (and other boxes)
tells me that if ATLAS is a static library then yes I need it at compile
time as the compiler/linker picks up needed symbol and puts
them in numarray's dynamic library.

On 64-bit boxes (Intel or AMD) the static libraries have to be
compiled with `-fPIC' in order to be useful for numarray's dynamic
library.

But if you compile ATLAS as a dynamic library I'm guessing
all these issues go away. The same applies to Goto BLAS
which already are distributed as shared libraries alas without
source code.

I'm sure others will have more to say about that.

Piotr