[Numpy-discussion] Numeric3 status

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Thu Feb 3 03:46:23 CST 2005

I've gotten Numeric3 (equivalent to Numeric 30.0) into a state where
multiarray compiles.

It is far from production ready.  Several sections of the code still
need to be cleaned up to avoid segfaults.  But, the general outline is
there.   As this is very alpha code (though based on a very mature
code-base) it is named Numeric3 so it does not clobber your current
Numeric installation just in case you accidentally do an install.    You
will have to make sure the correct multiarray is being loaded through
your sys.path list (or just point your sys.path to the build location of
Numeric3) if you want to play with it.

No array_number methods have been loaded yet (there is an interface to
load your own if you like).   I expect to have ufuncs working with the
new arrayobject by the end of the month.  Until then, arrayobjects are
purely structural beasts.

If anybody would like to comment on the design or direction of Numeric
30.0, your comments are welcome.  If you would like to checkout the code
through CVS you may do that using

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/numpy login

press <Enter> when prompted for a password.

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/numpy co -P
/Numeric3/

A rough design document is available by following the link at
http://www.scipy.org/wikis/numdesign/num3news

The major goal is:

Numeric 30.0 will have all the important new features of numarray as
well as maintain or improve on the speed of Numeric for all array types.

Besides this, Numeric 30.0 will not include any FFT's, LinearAlgebra,
or Random Numbers (these are all provided much more proficiently by
SciPy).  Masked Arrays, and Matrices will be provided as standard
subclasses in Python.   Ideally, RecordArrays will be provided in the
same way.

I will not re-invent code that I can borrow from past versions of
Numeric and or numarray.

Best wishes,

-Travis Oliphant