[Numpy-discussion] Numeric3

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Feb 7 11:58:22 CST 2005

Travis Oliphant wrote:

> So, it is very concerning to me to see matplotlib try to become what
> scipy is already trying to become.

Me too. I'm ecstatic about matplotlib, but disappointed that it has as
broad a goal as it does (and the matlab-like syntax, I hope to
contribute more to alternatives).

It's interesting that SciPy and matplotlib really do have much the same
goal, but taken from different tacks: SciPy focused on the computational
functionality, and matplotlib on the plotting. However, what's become
really clear in this discussion is that a good scientific math
environment really needs both, and they need to be well integrated.

I'm optimistic that we can all work together to get that: One set of
packages that work together to do everything we all need. As someone
else on this thread mentioned, most of the individual functionality is
all there, what's mostly need now is for it all to be packaged well and
work together well. At the core of that is the numarray/NumPy
unification: I hope Numeric will get us there.

One question, Travis: Why did you decide to bring numarray stuff into
the Numeric code base, rather than the other way around? What I've
gathered is that the only real show-stopper with numarray is array
creation speed. Is that really impossible to fix without a complete
re-structuring?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov