[Numpy-discussion] Numeric3

Ralf Juengling juenglin at cs.pdx.edu
Tue Feb 8 17:58:35 CST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 17:04, Chris Barker wrote:
> Ha! That's the core problem here. As an example (I don't mean to be
> picking on you, John) matplotlib docs suggest that you do things
> differently when writing programs than playing with the interpreter.
> However, almost all of the examples and docs, and and most of the
> usability effort has gone into the "import *" approach. The same is true
> for Numeric and numarray. Why would someone magically stop using it?
> Besides, I use the interactive interpreter to try out code that I'm then
> going to use in a program. Why have a different syntax?

Yes, I think it is absurd to ask a user to learn two APIs, one for
interactive use and one for writing programs.

I'm not sure I understand your stance on this, though. You were
complaining in the other posting that matplotlib's "programming API"
would not offer all of the features that are offered by its
"interactive API". But you don't seem to be offended by the very
idea of having two APIs.

Ralf