[Numpy-discussion] Numeric3

Gary Strangman strang at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Wed Feb 9 05:36:10 CST 2005

> So while I agree that having plain array access is needed for quick and dirty
> one-off things, basically anything beyond 50-100 lines of code is probably
> best written with a tiny bit of design.  Those 10 minutes invested thinking
> about a design sketch will pay for themselves many times over.

I guess this points out different needs and abilities. I unfortunately
need to do way too many things just once (ahhh, if I only had the luxury
of doing the same or similar analyses over and over). And though I
certainly agree that including a bit of design can be a good thing, for my
abilities this usually boils down to more like 10 hours rather than 10
minutes of designing, re-designing, debugging the design, adding to the
design etc. I'm usually happy with it when I'm done, but don't get to
reuse it more than 1 or 2 times.

To get back to the topic at hand, though, I'd be perfectly satisfied with
both interfaces (functions and methods). I just worry that the method
interface would make the multiarray object sufficiently complex and
unwieldy to (a) induce a performance hit, or (b) prevent the multiarray
object from getting into the python core. But, maybe I just misunderstand
the nature of the code that would underly the method interface.

-best
Gary