[Numpy-discussion] random and RandomArray

Bruce Southey southey at uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 16 12:59:17 CST 2005

Hi,
I was browsing through some of the code and realized that certain random number
generators occur in both the Python random module and RandomArray.

The random module uses C code to get a scalar uniform random number that is
modified in Python by other generators to get random numbers from other
distributions. In RandomArray everything is done in the C code - obviously this
is way faster especially for arrays.

In the long term, would it make sense to get use the same random number
generators in both random and RandomArray?
By this, I am thinking along the lines that both random and RandomArray would
call the same C code. This would require more changes in random than
RandomArray but would minimise duplicate code and update RandomArray.

So I was wondering what the thoughts of people on this list are on this before
even considering this further.

Regards
Bruce Southey