[Numpy-discussion] Response to PEP suggestions

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Thu Feb 17 13:18:18 CST 2005

On Feb 17, 2005, at 3:25 PM, Travis Oliphant wrote:

> This is basically new behavior that numarray has started supporting.
> I just think numarray missed an important case of flattened indexing
> that MATLAB supports.  My current proposal would distinguish between
> single-index array cases and tuple-index array cases.
> I'm still thinking about the X.flat possibility.  Basically, I think
> that direction would requires a new "generic array view" or something
> like that.  It may be worth trying, but I'm not sure I want to go that
> direction right now until I convince more people to come on board with
> Numeric3.

It was new behavior in the sense that Numeric didn't support
multidimensional array takes and puts at the time. For a long time it
was the only kind of array indexing IDL supported (1-d and implicit
.flat of multidimensional arrays). Speaking only for myself, I found
the .flat semantics more often as unwanted behavior than convenient.
I'd rather keep the numarray behavior in this case and make the .flat
case explicit (but I understand the difficulty of that approach). There
is the possibility of a custom index option (but ugly I suppose)

X[K, flatten]

where flatten is a special object that indexing recognizes as signaling
a different interpretation to indexing.

Perry