[Numpy-discussion] Response to PEP suggestions

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Fri Feb 18 20:38:22 CST 2005

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net wrote:
> On 18.02.2005, at 18:59, Travis Oliphant wrote:

>> Do you think this would fly with the Python folks.  Counting the
>> suggestion above, we would be encouraging the creation of 39 new
>> types  to the Python core.  My current count shows the current number
>> of  types as 35 so
>

> Those new types would (if all goes well) be part of the standard
> library, but not built-in types. Compared to the number of types and
> classes in the standard library, the addition is not so big. There
> wouldn't be literals either. Anyone who doesn't use the array module
> could thus safely ignore the existence of those types.

I don't see the problem that this approach would solve. It doesn't solve
the list/tuple indexing problem by itself. Even if the types are part of
the standard library, they won't be bona-fide ints, so the indexing code
would still have to be modified to check for them.

I *do* like the idea of the typecode objects, however they are
implemented, to be able to act as constructors.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter