[Numpy-discussion] Numeric3

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon mdehoon at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Sat Feb 5 06:24:17 CST 2005

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> O.K.   I can see that there are several out there who belive that
> SciPy is sufficiently hard to install that they are concerned about
> requiring it for their math-using packages (despite the provided
> binary distributions, and the work that continues on making it easier
> to install).

Relying on binary distributions should be a method of last resort. You
can never keep up with all the possible operating systems x Python
versions x Numeric versions. I run Python on four computers here
(Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, and Unix), and only for Linux there is a
SciPy binary installer available (on Windows I am using Python 2.4, for
which there is no installer). Now SciPy binary installers can be made
for all these platforms, but I am sure that you have better ways to
spend your time.

We need to think carefully about what the goal of SciPy actually is. I
am worried that SciPy is turning into a goal in itself. To my mind, the
goal of Numerical Python and SciPy should be to help users perform
numerical calculations. Numerical Python does that by making commonly
needed numerical routines available as a convenient package. SciPy can
do that by making less-needed routines available either as a binary
installer or as source code. I don't see how moving well-functioning
code from Numerical Python to SciPy will help any user.

--Michiel.