[Numpy-discussion] Numeric3

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Tue Feb 8 01:23:18 CST 2005

Thanks for your comments.

Nadav Horesh wrote:

> Most of my work is carried using the numarray/Numeric package, and use
> scipy not so often for three reasons:
>
>    1. nummaray is well equip.

It is certainly missing many things.

>    1. scipy is mostly undocumented.

SciPy is decently self documented.  And, with
http://www.scipy.org/livedocs/
self-documentation leads to rapid online documentation.

>    1. scipy had bugs in many  of it high-end (=rarely used) routines.

Interesting claim.   Yes bugs crop up, but they are typically fixed
quickly when found.   Basing much of the code on standard compiled
routines helps to alleviate this problem.

> This is a high barrier for a causal scipy users like me, and thus it
> hard for me to contribute back. For instance, I wrote a bicoherence
> routine some time ago, but found no proper place to contribute it.
> Scipy would be a natural place if it would be more accessible.
> One of the good reasons to provide bare Numeric3 and to put fft,
> linear algebra, etc. in scipy, is that it would force scipy into the
> painful process of being user friendly (=accessible)

One very important reason I would like to do it.  It is hard to know if
scipy is accessible or not if people who have problems don't complain
but instead walk away or just start their own package.

-Travis