[Numpy-discussion] Re: NumPy on 64-bit Linux (Opteron)

Berthold Höllmann hoel at gl-group.com
Tue Feb 8 05:16:13 CST 2005

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net writes:

> Is anyone here using NumPy on Opteron machines running Linux in 64 bit
> mode? I am running into problems such as:
>
> Python 2.4 (#4, Jan 18 2005, 18:06:45)
> [GCC 3.2.3 20030502 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-42)] on linux2
>  >>> from Numeric import *
>  >>> a = arange(4)
>  >>> a
> array([0, 1, 2, 3])
>  >>> a.shape = (2, 2)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> ValueError: total size of new array must be unchanged
>
> This is with Python 2.4 and Numeric 23.7. Before looking into this
> myself, I thought I'd ask here, perhaps someone has already found a
> fix.

I do have currently access to an Opteron machine. OS is SuSE SLES9,
with a lot of Python packages from SuSE Professional 9.1. I get:

~> python
Python 2.3.3 (#1, Nov 29 2004, 22:35:24)
[GCC 3.3.3 (SuSE Linux)] on linux2
>>> import Numeric as N
>>> a = N.arange(4)
>>> a
array([0, 1, 2, 3])
>>> a.shape = (2,2)
>>> N.__file__
'/usr/lib64/python2.3/site-packages/Numeric/Numeric.pyc'
>>> N.__version__
'23.1'

Kind regards

Berthold
--
Germanischer Lloyd AG
CAE Development
e-mail: hoel at gl-group.com
Internet: http://www.gl-group.com

This e-mail contains confidential information for the exclusive attention of the intended addressee. Any access of third parties to this e-mail is unauthorised. Any use of this e-mail by unintended recipients such as copying, distribution, disclosure etc. is prohibited and may be unlawful. When addressed to our clients the content of this e-mail is subject to the General Terms and Conditions of GL's Group of Companies applicable at the date of this e-mail.

GL's Group of Companies does not warrant and/or guarantee that this message at the moment of receipt is authentic, correct and its communication free of errors, interruption etc.