[Numpy-discussion] Numeric3

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Wed Feb 9 02:47:28 CST 2005

On Feb 8, 2005, at 23:33, Chris Barker wrote:

> thing I found a little lacking when I started using python was an easy
> way to run a script inside an interactive session:
>
> execfile("filename.py")
>
> is a bit clunky. However:
>
> $ python -i filename.py
>
> Is not so bad at the command prompt, when all you have to do is hit
> the up-arrow key and run it again.

Try ipython. "%run filename.py" runs the script and you can recall it
with the up-arrow key. There are lots of other nice features in
ipython, once you bring up the courage to go through the manual (66
pages!).

> Well, that's true for me also, but for structural array stuff, methods
> seem to make more sense. Besides, I'd get used to x.sin(), and like it
> if it kept my namespaces uncluttered!

I wonder if you would say the same after reading a bunch of complicated
formulas in Eiffel code (which requires such notation). I did, and
didn't find it pleasurable. But I would happily accept methods for
anything but standard math functions.

> So, in short, I'd like to see both: an internal OO structure, with a
> "interactive" helper module.

We can agree on that!

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen