[Numpy-discussion] Proposal for making of Numarray a real Numeric 'NG'

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Wed Feb 9 09:15:35 CST 2005

On Feb 9, 2005, at 17:48, Perry Greenfield wrote:

> When we started this, one of those that suggested putting much of
> the code in Python was Guido himself if I recall correctly (I'd have
> to dig up the message he wrote on the subject to see what exactly he

My memory tells me that the NumPy community asked if there was any
chance to get arrays into the core if the code was decent, and Guido
replied positively.

> Actually, as I understand it, Guido had ruled out including Numeric
> well
> before numarray even got started. I can't claim to know exactly his
> reasons (I've heard various things such as he looked at the code and
> didn't like it, or Paul Dubois and others advised him against it; I

There was pretty much a concensus at the time that we shouldn't make
fools of ourselves by proposing the existing codebase for inclusion in
the core.

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen
Laboratoire Léon Brillouin, CEA Saclay,