[Numpy-discussion] Response to PEP suggestions

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Sat Feb 19 00:00:29 CST 2005

On 18.02.2005, at 23:06, Travis Oliphant wrote:

> Let me see if i understand you here.  Since the type of the array is
> bascially handled by the
> PyArray_Descr*  structure.   Are you suggesting turning that into a
> full-fledged PythonObject with
> new type?   I had thought of this before since it's basically calling
> for us to do something like that.  Or do you have something else in
> mind?

I was thinking of the scalar types than of the arrays. What I am
proposing is to have a Int16, Int32, UInt 16 etc. as Python scalar
types (though not built-in types) and use the type objects to create
arrays and to identify the type of array elements. Those types would be
part of a type hierarchy for type testing.

One could then either have a single array type that stores the type
object for the elements internally, or have different Python types for
every kind of array (i.e. Int16Array, Int32Array). I don't see any
important difference there, so I have no clear opinion on this.

Konrad.
-------
Konrad Hinsen
Laboratoire Leon Brillouin, CEA Saclay,