[Numpy-discussion] Response to PEP suggestions

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Sat Feb 19 14:55:32 CST 2005

On 19.02.2005, at 14:44, Colin J. Williams wrote:

>> 2) Compatibility with existing code. I am not sure I will convert my
>> code to such conventions any time soon, because it requires
>> inspecting  every single indexing operation in its particular context
>> to see if the  index could be a rank-0 integer array. There is no way
>> to spot those  cases by textual analysis. So this change could reduce
>> acceptance to  the point where there is no interest in pursuing the
>> project any more.
>>
> I thought that the intent of Numeric 3 was to produce the best - a new
> start, without being overly concerned about compatibility.

It all depends on where "overly" starts.

Let's be pragmatic: the majority of potential Numeric 3 users will be
the current users of Numeric and numarray. If they don't accept Numeric
3 because it's a pain, no amount of nice design will help.

> I was glad to see the proposal to abandon "ravel" ( a hangover from
> APL?).

Fine, but that's the kind of change that doesn't hurt much: a name
change can be made with a text editor. Changing the behaviour of
fundamental operations (indexing) is a different thing.

Konrad.
-------
Konrad Hinsen
Laboratoire Leon Brillouin, CEA Saclay,