[Numpy-discussion] A request for new distributions

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Fri Jan 7 01:54:11 CST 2005

Jack Jansen wrote:

> On 6 Jan 2005, at 23:10, Todd Miller wrote:
>
>> numarray-1.2 is relatively near at hand, sometime in the next 2-3 weeks
>> I hope.   For numarray-1.2 on the Mac,  I think all you will need to do
>> to get a vecLib build is:
>>
>> python setup.py install --use_lapack
>

> Is there a reason to require the "--use_lapack"? I.e. are there any
> adverse consequences to using it?

On other platforms, one has to edit the setup scripts to add the
information about where the libraries are. The default fallback is to
use the unoptimized version packaged with numarray.

The alternative would be to add autoconf-like capabilities to the setup
script such that it could determine if the libraries were in the default
places (and valid!), then fall back to the lite versions if not.

On the Mac, --use_lapack should have no adverse consequences, if I'm
reading you right. On other platforms, numarray might fail to build
correctly if one hadn't supplied the necessary information.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter