[Numpy-discussion] Speeding up numarray -- questions on its design

Paul Dubois paul at pfdubois.com
Tue Jan 18 13:57:33 CST 2005

I haven't followed this discussion in detail but with respect to space
for 'descriptors', it would simply be foolish to malloc space for these.
The cost is ridiculous. You simply have to decide how big a number of
dimensions to allow, make it a clearly findable definition in the
sources, and dimension everything that big.

Originally when we discussed this we considered 7, since that had been
(and for all I know still is) the maximum array dimension in Fortran.
But Jim Huginin needed 11 or something like it for his imaging. I've
seen 40 in the numarray sources I think.

It seems to me that an application that would care about this space (it
being, after all, per array object) would be unusual indeed.

If I've misunderstood what you're talking about, never mind. (:->

My advice is to make flexibility secondary to performance. It is always
possible to layer on flexibility for those who want it.