[Numpy-discussion] Speeding up numarray -- questions on its design

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Wed Jan 19 13:45:03 CST 2005

On 19.01.2005, at 17:43, Perry Greenfield wrote:

> Just to clarify, the intention to make them equivalent was not
> originally true (and some encouraged the idea that there be a break
> with Numpy compatibility). But that has grown to be a much bigger goal
> over time.

If my memory serves me well, the original intention was to have a new
implementation that could replace the old one feature- and
performancewise but without promising API compatibility. What we have
now is the opposite.

> No doubt that supporting both introduces more work, but for the most
> part, I think that with the exception of some parts(namely ufunc
> C-api), it should be possible write a library that supports both with
> little conditional code.

Yes, certainly. But not everybody is going to do it, for whatever
reasons, if only lack of time or dependencies on exclusive features. So
one day, there will be library A that requires NumPy and library B that
requires numarray (that day may already have arrived). If I want to use
both A and B in my code, I can expect to run into problems and
unpleasant debugging sessions.

Konrad.