[Numpy-discussion] install, numpy

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Jan 4 15:33:54 CST 2005

Stephen Walton wrote:
> How?  I've struggled with trying to create ATLAS RPMs in order to
> maintain it locally, but the rpm program doesn't have the hooks to
> distinguish between the various architectures ATLAS supports;  it
> distinguishes between Athlon and Pentium, for example, and an ATLAS
> library built on the former core dumps on the latter.

sorry, I can't help here. I'm running Gentoo, which has a "compile
everything yourself" philosophy!

René Bastian wrote:
> Numeric is installed but :
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "benchmark.py", line 93, in ?
>     test00()
>   File "benchmark.py", line 8, in test00
>     import RandomArray as RA
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Numeric/RandomArray.py", line
> 3, in ?
>     import LinearAlgebra
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Numeric/LinearAlgebra.py",
> line 8, in ?
>     import lapack_lite
> ImportError: /usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Numeric/lapack_lite.so:
> undefined symbol: dgesdd_
>
> Something wrong ?

Sorry, I'm kind of out of my depth here, but one thing I would try is to
trash the build directory of Numeric, and build again, just to make sure
you're re-building everything. You might want to delete the

/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/Numeric

Directory too, before installing.

- Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov