[Numpy-discussion] Matlab/Numeric/numarray benchmarks

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Wed Jan 5 09:54:03 CST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 12:33, Stephen Walton wrote:
> Todd, I ran your updated benchmark on a Dell Precision 350 (P4 at
> 2.26GHz) with numarray 1.1.1 and Numeric 23.6 both built against ATLAS.
> My results were:
>
> numarray + : 0.026392891407
> numarray matrixmultiply : 4.37110900879
> numarray eigenvalues : 2.95166471004
>
> Numeric + : 0.0369043111801
> Numeric matrixmultiply : 0.69968931675
> Numeric eigenvalues : 2.81557621956
>
> Might there still be a matrixmultiply problem somewhere?

That's what "dotblas" does;  it replaces matrixmultiply() and
innerproduct() with versions which are dependent on a laundry list of
numerical libraries.  Numeric has dotblas,  numarray doesn't.  I'm
looking into it now.  The port itself is trivial,  but integrating it
into the numarray package structure has my head spinning a little.

Regards,
Todd