[Numpy-discussion] Matrix-SIG archives

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Thu Jan 13 05:33:16 CST 2005

On Jan 13, 2005, at 2:02, Robert Kern wrote:

> does anyone have the early archives sitting around somewhere? I'm
> trying to answer a question about the motivations of a particular
> design decision in Numeric (why dot(A,B) doesn't do conjugation on A
> when A is complex).

I don't have the archives either, but I can answer that one from
memory. The fundamental decision was to separate the concepts of
"array" (structured collection of data items of identical type) and
"vector", "matrix" or "tensor" (mathematical objects with specific
properties that are numerically represented by arrays). Arrays are just
that, their operations are defined in terms of operations on their
element. Numeric.dot() does multiplication followed by summing on the
last dimension of the first argument and the first dimension of the
second, no matter what type the elements have.

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen
Laboratoire Léon Brillouin, CEA Saclay,
91191 Gif-sur-Yvette Cedex, France