[Numpy-discussion] Speeding up Numeric

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Jan 21 14:25:04 CST 2005

Paul F. Dubois wrote:
> But for a calculator for a biologist or student of linear
> algebra that's not the right answer.

I'm neither, but my needs are similar, and I really want Numeric to NOT
stop, and just keep going with a NaN, inf or -inf. IMHO, that is the
only intelligent way for an array package to behave, and you get a
performance boost as well!

However, my understanding is that the IEEE special values are not
universally supported by compilers and/or math libraries, so this poses
a problem. I wonder if it's still an issue or if all the compilers of
interest have the requisite support?

> When I retire maybe I will write a high-performance one. But it will be
> in C++ and half the people will hate me. (:->

Maybe a python wrapper around Blitz++ ? I would love that!

David,

If you could apply your skills to profiling array creation in numarray,
you'd be doing a great service!

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov