[Numpy-discussion] problem with poisson generators

Flavio Coelho fccoelho at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 13:34:21 CDT 2005

Hi,

I am having problems with the poisson random number generators of both
Numarray and Numeric.
I can't replicate it when calling the function from the python cosonle, but
it has consistently malfunctioned when used within one of my scripts.

What happens is that it frequently return a value greater than zero when
called with zero mean: poisson(0.0)

Unfortunately My program is too big to send attached but I have confirmed
the malfunction by printing both the mean and the result whenever it spits
out a wrong result.

This is very weird indeed, I have run poisson millions of times by itsel on
the python console, without any problems...

I hope it is some stupid mistake, but when I replace the poisson function
call within my program by the R equivalent command (rpois) via the rpy
wrapper, everything works just fine...

any Ideas?

--
Flávio Codeço Coelho