[Numpy-discussion] numarray 1.3.3 build question

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Wed Jul 13 10:15:40 CDT 2005

I'm on MacOS X 10.3.9 and am getting mysterious warnings when building
numarray 1.3.3 which I've never seen before.

Building for the unix/x11 version yields:
[dhcp-254:~/Archives\342\200\242/PythonPackages/numarray-1.3.3] rowen%
python setup.py config build --gencode
Running sitecustomize.pyc
Using EXTRA_COMPILE_ARGS = ['-Ddarwin']
Running sitecustomize.pyc
Running sitecustomize.pyc
generating new API module 'libnumarray' .c  & .h
generating new API module 'libteacup' .c  & .h
generating new API module 'libnumeric' .c  & .h
Using external BLAS and LAPACK
running config
Wrote config.h
Packages/LinearAlgebra2/Src/lapack_litemodule.c:851: warning: function
declaration isn't a prototype
Packages/LinearAlgebra2/Src/lapack_litemodule.c:848: warning:
`lapack_liteError' defined but not used
gcc: -framework: linker input file unused because linking not done
gcc: vecLib: linker input file unused because linking not done

Should I worry? I haven't figured out how to run the self-tests w/out
installing and I'm reluctant to install w/out knowing if the warnings
are a problem.

also:
- why do we need --gencode? Is there some way to make that the default
so we can leave it off?
- why do we need "config"? That's new to 1.3.3 isn't it?

-- Russell

P.S. I have two completely different versions of python installed:
- the normal built-in Python 2.3.0, which I run using 'pythonw'
- a pure unix/x11 python that I installed from source using an x11
version of tcl/tk. This is run using "python" (which runs
/usr/local/python).

However, the errors occur while building with either version (much to my
surprised -- I expected the framework complain to go away when building
with pythonw, the framework python).