[Numpy-discussion] design issues - octave 'incompatibilities'

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Tue Jul 26 06:39:09 CDT 2005

On Jul 26, 2005, at 12:35 AM, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:

>> Since we deal with big data sets we have adopted 2 (no doubt to the
>> consternation of many).
>
> hmmhh, there is no advantage with big datasets for any of the formats.

It is if you have to reorder the data, or use non-optimum iteration
through the array. The first is definitely slower.

>>> Do you know whether mixing slices and arrays will be supported at
>>> some
>>> point a[:,[0,1]] ?
>>>
>>> Soeren.
>>
>> No plans at the moment. We figured indexing was complicated enough as
>> it was. I think Travis Oliphant did allow for this in Numeric3 (aka
>> scipy.core); see the link below. But it may not mean what you think it
>> should so you should check that out to see:
>>
>> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/numpy/Numeric3/PEP.txt?
>> view=markup
>
> Hmmhh while we are at it, is there work on a consensus num* ? I've seen
> the PEP for inclusion of numarray, now I see numeric3 and scipy and
> also
> cvxopt - are people actually converging towards a single num* package ?

That's what the goal of Numeric3 is as far as different underlying
array engines. But if you mean a merging of the array/matrix
viewpoints, I think you've answered your own question.

Perry