[Numpy-discussion] LAPACK/BLAS for Fedora core 4 i386 ?

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Jul 29 09:24:05 CDT 2005

Jochen Küpper wrote:
> "Chris Barker" <Chris.Barker at noaa.gov> writes:
>>Do you mean this? :
> yes

OK, so I've done what I can.

> To find out you might have to look at the LAPACK functions you are
> using and compare them against the ones provided by ATLAS.

Well, I'm testing using LinearAlgebra.solve_linear_equations() from
Numeric (and numarray). The reason I'm wondering is that on my last
machine, a 1ghz PIII laptop running Gentoo, using the Gentoo provided
atlas/lapack, I got a 6-7 times speed up over lapack_lite.

On my new machine, a 2GHz Pentium M laptop running FC4, I got about a 2
times speed-up, which is nice, but not nearly as impressive.

Another possible issue is that I used pre-complied binaries form the
atlas site, which are a bit old, maybe I should compile myself. Any
thoughts?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov