[Numpy-discussion] Re: [SciPy-user] Current thoughts on future directions

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Thu Mar 10 07:02:13 CST 2005

On Mar 9, 2005, at 11:41 PM, eric jones wrote:

> 2. I do question whether weave really be in this core?  I think it was
> in scipy_core before because it was needed to build some of scipy.
> 3. Now that I think about it, I also wonder if f2py should really be
> there -- especially since we are explicitly removing any fortran
> dependencies from the core.

It would seem to me that so long as:

1) both these tools have very general usefulness (and I think they do),
and
2) are not installation problems (I don't believe they are since they
themselves don't require any compilation of Fortran, C++ or
whatever--am I wrong on that?)

That they are perfectly fine to go into the core. In fact, if they are
used by any of the extra packages, they should be in the core to
eliminate the extra step in the installation of those packages.

Perry