[Numpy-discussion] Please chime in on proposed methods for arrays

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Wed Mar 16 21:10:00 CST 2005

Travis Oliphant wrote:

> One item I have not received a lot of feedback on is the new proposal
> for a greatly increased number of methods on the ndarray.
>
> The current PEP has a listing of all the proposed methods and attributes
> (some more were added after consulting current numarray in more detail
> and looking at all the functions in current Numeric.py)
>
> If a function call essentially involved an arrayobject with some other
> parameters then it was turned into a method.  If it involved two "equal"
> arrays then it was left as a function.  This is a somewhat arbitrary
> convention, and so I am asking for suggestions as to what should be
> methods.
>
> Should all the ufuncs be methods as well?  I think Konrad suggested
> this.  What is the opinion of others?

I'm too lazy to search right now, but I'm pretty sure that Konrad
suggested the opposite: that x.sin(), while possibly "cleaner" in an
OO-fetishistic sense, jars too much against the expectation of sin(x)
that all of us got accustomed to in math class. Maybe I should let him
speak for himself, though.  :-)

I think the division you have listed in the PEP is a reasonable one.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter