[Numpy-discussion] casting in numarray

Joachim Boomberschloss boomberschloss at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 17 12:09:18 CST 2005

Hi,

I'm using numarray for an audio-related application as
a buffer in an audio-processing pipeline. I would like
to be able to allocate the buffer in advance and later
regard it as a buffer of 8bit or 16bit samples as
appropriate, but in numarray, casting always produces
a new array, which I don't want. How difficult should
it be to make it possible to create an array using an
exsisting pre-allocated buffer to act as an interface
to that buffer? Also, if others consider it useful, is
there anyone willing to guide me through the code in
doing so?

Thanks,

Joe