[Numpy-discussion] What is Numeric3 anyway?

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon mdehoon at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Sat Mar 26 21:33:04 CST 2005

I'm a bit confused about where Numeric3 is heading. Originally, the idea was
that Numeric3 should go in Python core. Are we still aiming for that? More
recently, another goal was to integrate Numeric and numarray, which I fully
support. However, from looking at the Numeric3 source code, and from looking at
the errors found by Arnd, it looks like that Numeric3 is a complete rewrite of
Numeric. This goes well beyond integrating Numeric and numarray. Now I realize
that sometimes it is necessary to rethink and rewrite some code. However,
Numerical Python has served us very well over the years, and I'm worried that
rewriting the whole thing will break more than it fixes. So where is Numeric3 going?

--Michiel.