[Numpy-discussion] What is Numeric3 anyway?

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon mdehoon at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Sun Mar 27 00:45:33 CST 2005

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon wrote:
>> I'm a bit confused about where Numeric3 is heading. Originally, the idea
>> was that Numeric3 should go in Python core. Are we still aiming for that?
>> More recently, another goal was to integrate Numeric and numarray, which I
>> fully support.
>
> I would prefer to re-integrate the numarray people "back" into the Numeric
> community, by adding the features to Numeric that they need.
>
>> However, from looking at the Numeric3 source code, and from looking at the
>> errors found by Arnd
>
> These errors are all due to the fact that umath functions are not available
> yet.   Please don't judge too hastily.  At this point, I'm

OK. Fair enough. Maybe I did judge too hastily. From your comments, it looks
like we agree on where Numeric3 is going.

>> It seems that this message is due to the section labeled "#Generate code"
>> in setup.py, where python is being run with a call to os.system. What does
>> this do? Is there a need to generate code automatically in setup.py, rather
>>  than include the generated code with the Numeric3 source code?
>
> (code-generators are critical for maintainability --- in answer to your
> previous question).

As far as I can tell from their setup.py, neither Numerical Python nor numarray
currently does code generation on the fly from setup.py. (This was one of the
reasons that I started to worry if Numeric3 is more than Numerical Python +
numarray).

--Michiel.

--
Michiel de Hoon, Assistant Professor
University of Tokyo, Institute of Medical Science