[Numpy-discussion] Re: [SciPy-dev] Future directions for SciPy in light of meeting at Berkeley

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 10:58:29 CST 2005

Hi,

Thanks for the excellent discussion - and this has really been said
already, but just for clarity:

It seems that SciPy has two intended markets.

The first is as a competitor to languages like Matlab and IDL.  Here
the ideal is that a Matlab IDL user can just google, look, download,
install and have something with all the features they are used to
sitting and looking at them saying "aren't I beautiful".  I guess this
is the point of ASP.  Such a package will definitely need very good
default plotting.

The second is open-source developers.  Until we reach the ideal above,
developers will need flexibility and independence of install options
to minimize the support they have to offer for SciPy install issues.

So, aren't we suggesting providing a solution for both types of users?
 If cleverly done, can't we have nicely parsed separate packages for
developers to use, which can also be downloaded as one big SciPy
install?  Over time, we can expect that individual installs will
improve until we reach the necessary stability of the full install.

In the meantime, we also have a problem of the perception that efforts
in numerical python are widely spread across developers and websites;
this makes new users googling for Python and Matlab or IDL nervous.
It would be a great help if those writing scientific projects for
python could try to use the SciPy home as a base, even if at first the
project is rather independent of SciPy itself - IPython being a good
example.

Best,

Matthew