[Numpy-discussion] Trying out Numeric3

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon mdehoon at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Thu Mar 24 19:43:53 CST 2005

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> I want a package that is as easy to install as current Numeric (so the
> default will have something like lapack_lite).
> But, this should not handicap nor ignore a speed-conscious user who
> wants to install ATLAS or take advantage of vendor-supplied libraries.
>
> There should be a way to replace functionality that is clean and does
> not require editing setup.py files.
>
> Anybody with good ideas about how to do this well is welcome to speak up.

Doing this automatically without editing setup.py may be too complicated.
Quoting from the Numerical Python manual:

'A frequent request is that somehow the maintainers of Numerical Python invent a
procedure which will automatically find and use the "best" available versions of
these libraries. This is not going to happen.'

"these libraries" being BLAS and LAPACK. However, what we can do is to put some
frequently encountered options in setup.py commented out, and say "uncomment
this line if you have BLAS and LAPACK preinstalled on your Mac" etcetera.

--Michiel.

--
Michiel de Hoon, Assistant Professor
University of Tokyo, Institute of Medical Science