[Numpy-discussion] Final release of Numeric is actually 24.1

Francesc Altet faltet at carabos.com
Mon Nov 7 23:54:36 CST 2005

El dl 07 de 11 del 2005 a les 15:50 +0100, en/na khinsen at cea.fr va
escriure:
> Has anyone actually done this for a non-trivial package? What stops
> me from even trying scipy.core is the large number of incompatible
> changes, even though they are mostly superficial.

Well, I would like to migrate PyTables to scipy.core in the medium term.
My plan to not bother the users is to start supporting scipy.base by
using the array protocol. That means that, although numarray will still
be at the core, users will be able to send and retrieve scipy.core
objects into the library with almost native speed (thanks to the array
protocol). When scipy.core eventually matures enough, I'll put it at the
core of PyTables, while still supporting numarray and Numeric, and the
users will (hopefully) hardly notice the change, becuase they will be
able to use whatever numeric library they want, and the migration will
be up to them.

I really think that the array protocol (that already is supported in
latest Numeric and numarray, bar some small issues) is a Good Thing (tm)
to consider, specially for the developers.

Cheers,

--
>0,0<   Francesc Altet     http://www.carabos.com/
V   V   Cárabos Coop. V.   Enjoy Data