[Numpy-discussion] Numeric3.0 - Currently available under scipy/base as version 0.4.1 (Windows)

Colin J. Williams cjw at sympatico.ca
Wed Nov 9 06:40:10 CST 2005

I have a package based on subclassing numarray, which is working
satisfactorily, and am looking at the possibility of transferring the
package to work under the revised Numeric.

My feeling is that the transfer is probably feasible but that it would
be premature to work on it at this time.

One of the problems is the cluttered namespace, through the use of "from
X import *".  This is a style which is deprecated, see page 401 of Alex
Martelli's /Python in a Nutshell/.

Another problem, at this stage, is that many doc strings are missing and
that some which exist are a little cryptic.

I would like to take another look when the next win32 binaries are
available.

Some further thoughts on the present state of Numeric3.0 are available
here <http://www3.sympatico.ca/cjw/scipy1/>.

Colin W,