[Numpy-discussion] Release of SciPy Core 0.4 (Beta)

Tim Churches tchur at optusnet.com.au
Sun Oct 2 21:52:41 CDT 2005

Travis Oliphant wrote:

> This is to announce the release of SciPy Core 0.4.X (beta)
>
> It is available at sourceforge which you can access by going to
>
> http://numeric.scipy.org
>
> Thanks to all who helped me with this release, especially
>
> Robert Kern
> Pearu Peterson
>
> Now, let's start getting this stable....

Great work, and we are much relieved that NumPy has a firm future
(albeit under a different name).

However, can I ask if there are plans to add Masked Arrays to SciPy
Core? If not, we'll have to stick with NumPy - missing values are
ubiquitous in the biological sciences and any package which can't handle
them isn't, to put it bluntly, of much use. We are happy to help test MA
for SciPy Core, and our project (www.netepi.org) has over a thousand
unit tests which give the basics of NumPy and MA a good work-out - so
if/when we convert to SciPy Core the unit tests will be helpful. However
we are not familiar enough with how SciPy Core differs from NumPy to
help with the porting, I'm afraid.

Tim C