[Numpy-discussion] Re: NumPies future

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Mon Oct 10 14:40:50 CDT 2005

Jochen Küpper wrote:

>All,
>
>following all this up and down I decide to write a short email for two
>reasons:
>
>First of all I want to thank all developers of Numeric, numarray, and
>the yet to fly scipy_core, esp. Perry/Todd and Travis. I hope that
>this apparent joining of forces will really get Numeric Python a big
>step ahead.
>
>On the other hand I have personally stepped down from using Python for
>larger numerical calculation projects, because it was too much of an
>hassle to get sysops convinced to install it, and because overall the
>hassles to follow releases, adopting code and explaining colleagues
>was to big to make up for the ease of coding compared to C++. Yep,
>there we are. I am REALLY looking forward to the day when I can start
>a larger project in Python again. I wish and hope that you guys are
>paving the road for me;) [1]
>
>Using scipy_core I would also be happy to work on public
>documentation, as that is where everybody using scipy_core can easily
>contribute his share. Maybe it would be a nice team effort to get the
>numarray Python-style documentation cut down and updated to a good and
>current reference-manual, pretty much a nicer and cross-linked version
>of the doc-strings, maybe with more of the examples that were
>discussed here before. I am sure that Travis writes a good
>user-manual, and, voila, both would be in the right place!

I actually do think that converting the numarray manual will be easier.
Because it is closer in function to what current scipy is.    Advanced
indexing has all been explained (the PEP for SciPy explains what is in
current SciPy a bit better --- especially when it comes to mixing slices
and integer indexing arrays.

So, I would start from there.

Hopefully in response to Jochen's other question (regarding hassles of
install) we can get to the point where scipy core is installed by
default on everybody's system.... :-)

No need to give up C++ coding either with weave and pyrex (and f2py
which can wrap C-code as well).

-Travis