[Numpy-discussion] numarray - was trying to freeze wxmpl matplotlib and wxpython

Tim Burgess timb at tbitc.com
Wed Oct 19 22:43:11 CDT 2005

Hi all,

First thanks to all those who have been helping out - it is really
appreciated.

I have cross posted to the numarray, py2exe and matplotlib lists

I have attempted to use numarray from cvs but I can't build it - no VC7

clang - did a penny drop anywhere?

I am working with python 2.4.1 and numarray 1.3.3 for 2.4 (obviously)

Since I couldnt build numarray - I looked at the new import code in the
cvs init module and ripped it off and stuffed it into my numarray
installation and then when that didnt work  - I jammed it right up front
of my application.

It looks like this

def main():
     import numarray.numarrayall
     from numarray.numinclude import version as __version__

     # stolen from next numarray version in cvs TjB

     import numarray._conv
     import numarray._sort
     import numarray._bytes
     import numarray._ufunc
     import numarray._ufuncBool
     import numarray._ufuncInt8
     import numarray._ufuncUInt8
     import numarray._ufuncInt16
     import numarray._ufuncUInt16
     import numarray._ufuncInt32
     import numarray._ufuncUInt32
     import numarray._ufuncFloat32
     import numarray._ufuncFloat64
     import numarray._ufuncComplex32
     import numarray._ufuncComplex64
     import numarray._ndarray
     import numarray._numarray
     import numarray._chararray
     import numarray._objectarray
     import numarray.memory
     import numarray._converter
     import numarray._operator
     import numarray._numerictype
     import numarray.libnumarray
     import numarray.libnumeric
     import numarray._ufuncInt64
     import numarray._ufuncUInt64

     print numarray.__version__

     application = BoaApp(0)

Still no go - but a changed error message.... grrr

I get

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "AEMdaApp.py", line 81, in ?
   File "AEMdaApp.py", line 41, in main
   File "numarray\__init__.pyc", line 42, in ?
   File "numarray\numarrayall.pyc", line 1, in ?
   File "numarray\numerictypes.pyc", line 35, in ?
   File "numarray\numinclude.pyc", line 4, in ?
   File "numarray\_ndarray.pyc", line 9, in ?
   File "numarray\_ndarray.pyc", line 7, in __load
ImportError: init_ndarray: can't find memory.new_memory

ok I confess my bottom lip trembled....

then - probably because I was reading the numarray manual this morning -
I went to my numarray install and decided to run testall.py

I got

F:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\numarray>\python24\python testall.py
Testing numarray 1.3.3 on normal Python (2, 4, 1, 'final', 0) on
platform win32
File "F:\python24\lib\site-packages\numarray\numtest.py", line 2843, in
cache p
ss
Failed example:
     cPickle.loads(cPickle.dumps(arange(5)+1j))
Exception raised:
     Traceback (most recent call last):
       File "F:\Python24\lib\doctest.py", line 1243, in __run
         compileflags, 1) in test.globs
       File "<doctest cache pass[968]>", line 1, in ?
     PicklingError: Can't pickle <built-in function memory_from_string>:
it's no
  the same object as memory.memory_from_string
File "F:\python24\lib\site-packages\numarray\numtest.py", line 2849, in
cache p
ss
Failed example:
     p = p.dump(a)
Exception raised:
     Traceback (most recent call last):
       File "F:\Python24\lib\doctest.py", line 1243, in __run
         compileflags, 1) in test.globs
       File "<doctest cache pass[973]>", line 1, in ?
     PicklingError: Can't pickle <built-in function memory_from_string>:
it's no
  the same object as memory.memory_from_string
File "F:\python24\lib\site-packages\numarray\numtest.py", line 2850, in
cache p
ss
Failed example:
     p = p.dump(b)
Exception raised:

and so on for quite some time.

Hmm the message about
	memory.memory_from_string
and my applications
	ImportError: init_ndarray: can't find memory.new_memory

are these a little related? Am I clutching at straws?

Yet my app runs fine under any ide I wish to use.

WAIT!  - my install of numarray is broken....
I deleted it and reinstalled - still broken
I installed on my laptop and tested - broken there too

My legacy python 2.3 and numarray 1.3.3 installation passes all the
tests just fine.

Is there a problem with python2.4.1 and numarray 1.3.3?

Could some kind soul build me a numarray windows installer for python
2.4 from cvs - please - so that I can see if that works better with py2exe.

I need a stiff drink

--
Tim Burgess
IT Consultant