[Numpy-discussion] Release of SciPy Core 0.4 (Beta)

Tim Churches tchur at optusnet.com.au
Mon Oct 3 14:09:14 CDT 2005

Stephen Walton wrote:
> Tim Churches wrote:
>
>> That would eb a most welcome development. If you are in the mood for
>> some minor extensions to MA (you probably aren't, but just on the
>> off-chance...), then support for multiple masking values would be great.
>>

> This sounds like an overly complicated addition to MA.  If I may be so
> bold, it seems to me that what you might want is your own object which
> maintains parallel arrays of values and "mask reasons," if you will, and
> generates a mask array accordingly

Yes, but the wish is that NumPy, or rather, SciPy Core, treats any mask
value other than zero the same - that is, that the mask value doesn't
have to be one. Teh machinery to attach meaning to mask values is indeed
situation-specific and shouldn't be part of SciPy Core (what is the
handy abbreviation of SciPy Core, BTW?).

Tim C