[Numpy-discussion] python-numeric in FC4: good idea?

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Mon Sep 26 02:44:08 CDT 2005

Greg Ewing wrote:
> Chris Barker wrote:
>
>> This is a Darn Good example of why we need the new array protocol.
>
> I came across another one the other day when working on
> pygui. I wanted to use glReadPixels to read data into a
> buffer belonging to an NSBitmapImageRep, but PyOpenGL's
> glReadPixels can only read data into an existing memory
> block if it's a Numeric array, and PyObjC doesn't know
> anything about Numeric...

I've taken the liberty of adding these to a new Wiki page. Let's record
these "Oh I wish everyone used the array protocol" moments when we come
across them.

http://www.scipy.org/wikis/featurerequests/ArrayInterfaceUseCases/

This will probably migrate to the Trac instance for scipy whenever that
comes about.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu