[Numpy-discussion] python-numeric in FC4: good idea?

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Mon Sep 26 08:40:01 CDT 2005

Fernando Perez wrote:

> Robert Kern wrote:
>
>> Can you make an RPM of python-numeric compiled against ATLAS and install
>> it yourself?
>

> You can.  In fact, Numeric builds out of the box with
>
> python bdist_rpm,
>
> though the package name comes out to be named 'Numeric', but that
> should not be a problem, since the setup.cfg file reads:
>
> [bdist_rpm]
> provides=python-numeric, python-numeric-devel
> build_script=rpm_build.sh
> install_script=rpm_install.sh
>
> which means that the python-numeric dependency should be satisfied.

Yes, it is, and I sort of found that out myself.  Yum is much smarter
about this than RPM apparently;  if I do

rpm -U Numeric-23.8-i386.rpm

rpm refuses to replace python-numeric-23.7 as distributed with FC4, but
"yum install Numeric" when pointed at my local repo works fine.  As does
"rpm -i --force" of course.

There is at least a verbal commitment at bugzilla.redhat.com from Redhat
to migrate pygtk2 to the new array object when it comes out.