[Numpy-discussion] NumPy documentation

Ed Schofield schofield at ftw.at
Wed Apr 5 09:10:05 CDT 2006

I'd also like to express my gratitude, Travis, for all the time and
energy you've donated to both NumPy and SciPy.  I also fully support
your decision to charge for your book.

Perhaps your correspondent expects your book to be free because it's
online.  Perhaps some re-branding -- from "fee-based documentation" to
"book" or "handbook for users and developers" -- would help to avoid
evoking such unfair responses?  Incidentally, you mention on on the site
that you'll print and bind hard-copy version once your sales reach 200
copies.  I think this would help to encourage libraries and conservative
institutions to purchase copies.  Are your sales still under this level?!

I'm now going to order a copy for my institution -- and a hard copy when
it's available :)

-- Ed