[Numpy-discussion] Converting from Numeric (was: Speed up function on cross product of two sets?)

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Wed Apr 5 23:51:03 CDT 2006

Moin Moin,

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Pearu Peterson wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Arnd Baecker wrote:
>
> > BTW, it seems that we have no Numeric to numpy transition remarks in
> > www.scipy.org. I only found
> > http://www.scipy.org/PearuPeterson/NumpyVersusNumeric
> > and of course Travis' "Guide to NumPy" contains a detailed list of
> > necessary changes in chapter 2.6.1.
> > In addition ``site-packages/numpy/lib/convertcode.py`` provides an
> > automatic conversion.
> >
> > Would it be helpful to start a new wiki page "ConvertingFromNumeric"
> > (similar to http://www.scipy.org/Converting_from_numarray)
> > which aims at summarizing the necessary changes
> > or expand Pearu's page (if he agrees) on this?
>
> It's better to start a new wiki page similar to Converting_from_numarray
> (I like the table).

Based on the above links I have set up a first draft at
  http://www.scipy.org/Converting_from_Numeric
It is surely not complete and
there are a couple of things which have to be checked for correctness
(I tried out some, but not all ...).

Also some remarks on using the new features of numpy
(e.g., use array indexing instead of take and put...) might be useful.

> Btw, I have few notes about the necessary changes for
> Numeric->numpy transition in the following page:
>
>    http://svn.enthought.com/enthought/wiki/NumpyPort#NotesonchangesduetoreplacingNumeric/scipy_basewithnumpy
>
> Feel free to grab these notes.

Great - thanks, I tried to incorporate them as well.

Best, Arnd