[Numpy-discussion] Seeking articles for special issue on Python and Science and Engineering

Paul Dubois pfdubois at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 13:00:04 CDT 2006

IEEE's magazine, Computing in Science and Engineering (CiSE), has asked me
to put together a theme issue on the use of Python in Science and
Engineering. I will write an overview to be accompanied by 3-5 articles of a
few pages (say 3000 words or so) each. The deadline for manuscripts will be
in the Fall and publication early next year.

I would like to select articles that show a diverse set of applications or
tools, to give our readers a sense of whether or not Python might be useful
in their own work. I will tailor the overview to "fill in the holes" a bit
since with only a few articles we can't cover everything.

Note that these are expository pieces, not research reports. We have a
peer-reviewed section for the latter. Think "Scientific American" with
respect to level: everybody gets something out of it, maybe a little more
for those who know about the area.

Please contact me if you are interested in writing such an article. The
process is that I work with you on the shape of the article, then you write
it, and our editorial staff helps you get it ready for publication. There is
no annoying review process except that I am annoying.

Ideas for cover art to go with the issue are always welcome.

Information about CiSE and our author's guidelines are at computer.org/cise.
It has a fairly large readership as such things go.

Thanks,

Paul Dubois
Editor, Scientific Programming Department
CiSE