[Numpy-discussion] String (and unicode) comparisons and per-thread error handling fixed

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Tue Apr 18 12:14:14 CDT 2006

Tim Hochberg wrote:
> Travis Oliphant wrote:
>

>> String comparisons were added last week.  Today, I added per-thread
>> error handling to NumPy.  There is 1 more enhancement (scalar math)
>> prior to 0.9.8 release --- but it will probably take 1-2 weeks.
>
> Oops!  I'm about 2/3 done doing this one too. I think I'll go ahead
> and finish mine up and see how our approaches stack up performance
> wise and see if there's any of mine that's useful to roll into yours.
Darn.  I thought I gave you enough time.... :-)

On the other hand,  all I did was change the way the error-mode is being
looked-up (from the three dictionaries to just one).  It's not much
different than before except for that.    I didn't do anything about the
other ideas you spoke of.

I did add a simple object to reset the error mode when it gets deleted,
and had to fiddle with the seterr code a little to accept that object so
that both methods of resetting the error mode work.

A stack can certainly be built on top of what is now there (I'm thinking
for numarray compatibility...), but I didn't do that.

Sorry for stepping on your toes.   I'm just anxious...  I'll be gone for
a couple of days and won't be working on NumPy/SciPy, so feel free to
adjust.

-Travis