[Numpy-discussion] array.min() vs. min(array)

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Thu Apr 27 07:02:16 CDT 2006

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Ryan Krauss wrote:

> I think this is a great idea.  We get a lot of these kinds of
> questions on the list, and the collective wisdom of people here who
> have really dug into this is really impressive.  But, that wisdom does
> need to be a little easier to find.
>
> Speaking of which, I don't always feel like I get trustworthy results
> out of the profiler, so when I really want to know what is going on I
> find myself doing this alot:
>
> t1=time.time()
> [block of code here]
> t2=time.time()
> [more code]
> t3=time.time()
>
> and then comparing t3-t2 and t2-t1 to narrow down where the code is
> spending its time.
>
> Does anyone have good tips on how to do good profiling?  Or is this
> question so vague and counter-intuitive that I seem silly and I had
> better come back with a believable example?

Maybe this one is of interest then:
http://www.physik.tu-dresden.de/~baecker/comp_talks.html
and goto "Python and Co - some recent developments"
Quite late in the talk there is an example on Profiling
(sorry, it seems that no direct linking is possible)
The corresponding files are at
  http://www.physik.tu-dresden.de/~baecker/talks/pyco/BenchExamples/

Essentially it is an example of using kcachegrind to display
the results of hotshot
(see also:
  http://mail.enthought.com/pipermail/enthought-dev/2006-January/001075.html
)