[Numpy-discussion] numpy/Numeric co-existence

James Boyle boyle5 at llnl.gov
Tue Aug 22 14:38:00 CDT 2006

I have some codes which require a Numeric array and others which
require a numpy array.
I have no control over either code, and not the time to convert all to
numpy if I did.
The problem is this - say I have a routine that returns a numpy array
as a result and I wish to do something to this array using a code that
uses Numeric.  Just passing the numpy array to the numeric code does
not work. In my case the Numeric code thinks that the numpy float is a
long int, this is not good. So what does one do in the interim? There
are some legacy codes which will never be converted to numpy.

I have seen discussion as to how to convert Numeric -> numpy, but not
how the two can play together. I can appreciate the strong desire to
eliminate having two systems, but the practical aspects of getting
things done must also be considered.

I am using numpy 1.0b1 and Numeric 23.7 .

Thanks for any enlightenment - perhaps I am missing something obvious.

--Jim