[Numpy-discussion] Array pooling

Carlos Pita carlosjosepita at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Aug 22 23:11:03 CDT 2006

One reason is to use operator syntax: buf1 = buf2 +  buf3, instead of add(buf2,buf3, buf1). The other is to spare the final user (synth programmer) any buffer bookkeeping. My idea was to keep track of pooled buffers' reference counts, so that those currently unused would have a refcount of 1 and could be safely deleted (well, if pool policy variables allow it). But as buffers are acquired all the time, even a simple (pure-python) pooling policy implementation is pretty time consuming. In fact, I have benchmarked this against simply creating new zeros-arrays every time, and the non-pooling version just runs faster. That was when I thought that numpy could be doing some internal pooling by itself.

Regards,
Carlos

Is there any reason to keep allocating arrays if you are just using them as data buffers? It seems you should be able to reuse them. If you wanted to be fancy you could keep them in a list, which would retain a reference and keep them from being garbage collected.

 Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
 está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
 Probalo ya!